Monday, May 07, 2007

19-11

19. Cocteau Twins-Heaven or Las Vegas (1990)
If shoegaze is the cool kid of all subgenres, then dream pop is his hot-as-hell girlfriend. And this album is it for dream pop (the next few would all be lush albums). One of the sexiest sounding albums ever, if I ever shoot a sex scene for a movie it will be to "Cherry Colored Funk"
18. Portishead-Dummy (1994)
Speaking of movie soundtracks: every spy movie should have a portishead song. Massive attack may have the other 3 of the top 4 trip-hop albums, but this one takes the cake. Seriously, do you not feel so much cooler when listening to this album?
17. Mogwai-Young Team (1997)
MOGGGGGWAAAAAIIIIIIIII FEEEEAAAARRRR SAAAATTTTTAAAANNNNN
16. Slint-Spiderland (1991)
Wow, it seems like all of these albums are the best of their respective subgenres. That's probably because the 1990s are the deacde of subgenres. And post-rock is a badass subgenre, now that I think of it, although it lacks any sort of unity that trip-hop or shoegaze have. I mean, Mogwai is post-rock too, and they sound nothing like this. Well, ok, maybe nothing else does. Sublime.
15. Belle and Sebastian-If You're Feeling Sinister (1996)
I spent a long time kicking myself for not including the great 1992 Beat Happening album . How could I include my B&S without including the Happening? The fact is, though, B&S do twee better than Calvin Johnson did, and while he has a very different kind of charm, I listen to this album a heck of a lot more. The melodies are transcendent, the lyrics are just melodramatic enough, and Stuart Murdoch is one charming motherfucking man.
14. A Tribe Calle Quest-Low End Theory (1991)
QTip has the best combination of flow/lyrics of any MC out there. And his taste in jazz is impeccable. I know it's pussy rap, but the Tribe stand by themselves.
13. Elliott Smith-Either/Or (1997)
I hardly ever listen to singer/songwriter music these days. As much as I dug this shit senior year of high school, nowadays all the voices seem to run together, even if I know damn well who sings what. Not so with Elliott, who has the most beautiful voice of any rock singer (besides mayyybe Tim Buckley). And those lyrics, man, they put Elliott in a league of his own. With Nick Drake. This is one of my favorite sad albums ever (with Sea Change, Blood on the Tracks, Pink Moon).
12. Wu Tang Clan-Enter the Wu (1993)
Wu Tang Clan ain't nothin to fuck with. (This is as high as the rap albums get, which shows my silly white rockist bias. If I had another 10 albums on my list though, Pharcyde II, Ironman, and maybe The Chronic would make my list)
11. Weezer-Blue (1994)
Token nostalgia add: maybe. But is that why I keep listening to it to this day?

No comments: