2014- Top Albums
It was a down year for albums, I think. There was lots of great music, but I would only call my #1 album here great. The rest range from really good to good, but they all have some weak songs or filler. This led to the list being filled by musicians who have previously released music better than their new albums (Grouper, Ryan Adams, Pure X, etc). The three team-ups were each revitalizing for everyone involved, and besides Pinata they didn't get enough attention.
ALSO NOTE: The D'Angelo album is amazing, but I haven't had enough time to evaluate it. I'm certain it would end up in my top 5, possibly my album of the year.
- Lykke Li – I Never LearnI wasn't even a Lykke Li fan until she went all Zola Jesus on this one. Goth Lykke Li released one of the most emotional and one of the most catchy albums I've heard in a while
- Ariana Grande – My EverythingDon't shoot me but I like this album better than Beyonce's latest. It's ok though I still like Queen Bey more.
- Fennesz – BecsDid no one else listen to this? Really an excellent electronic/ambient album, reminds me of the olden days of Gas and, well, Fennesz.
- Beck – Morning Phase
- Broken Twin – MayHas the best top 5 songs of the year, with some filler.
- Eno/Hyde – High Life
- Freddie Gibbs/Madlib – Pinata
- Pallbearer – Foundations of Burden
- Nothing – Guilty of EverythingI like this more than Deafheaven from last year, more shoegaze/less black metal.
- Spoon – They Want My SoulHas a top 5 Spoon song ever (“Inside Out”), but a bit uneven.
- Ryan Adams – Ryan AdamsI have thought/talked about the career of Ryan Adams more than any other musician in my life. I don't even know what this would sound like to someone less indoctrinated into his corpus/less privy to all his references.
- Fatima Al Qadiri – Asiatisch
- Makthaverskan – IISwedish pop-punk!
- YG – My Krazy Life
- Lana Del Rey – UltraviolenceMy favorite LDR album
- Posse – Soft OpeningLook it's Yo La Tengo II! I hope to enjoy you for the next 25 years, Posse.
- Babyface/Toni Braxton – Love, Marriage, and Divorce
- Pure X - Angel
- Tony Molina – Dissed and DismissedIt's the new Weezer album! Wait, old Weezer released an album this year?
- Sturgill Simpson – Metamodern Sounds in Country Music
- Grouper – RuinsSadder than the Sun Kil Moon record.
- VHS Head – Persistence of VisionWinning this year's Jam City award for glitchy music to grade to
- Frankie Cosmos – ZentropyReally good and earnest, reminds me a bit of teenage girl Jonathan Richman.
- Modern Baseball – You're Gonna Miss it AllWish this came out when I was in high school. It sounds like it did.
- How to Dress Well – What is This HeartI hated this when I first heard it because I wanted more traditional white-boy soul, but it grew on me. I still want more traditional white-boy soul though (looking at you Autre ne Veut).