Monday, December 23, 2013

1. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Give in. Lose yourself to dance. "I am the beginning, the end, the one who is many... I am Random Access Memories."

2. My Bloody Valentine - m b v

How amazing is this album? What would they have had to do not to be overlooked in the 8-15 range on year end lists?

3. Kanye West - Yeezus

4. Rhye - Woman

They delivered on those early singles and how.

5. Joanna Gruesome - Weird Sisters

Such a perfect band for me: silly retro 90s tweecore

6. Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

7. Moonface - Julia with Blue Jeans on

Devastating. Also maybe the only outright sad album on my list?

8. Yuck - Glow and Behold

Amazing to lose your band lead/singer and make what MAY be a BETTER album? Gin Blossoms shit right there.

9. Danny Brown - Old

Listen to it as an album.

10. Julianna Barwick - Nepenthe

Ditto.

11. Austra - Olympia

Has maybe my favorite 5-song set of the year, but with some filler. so #witchy

12. Sky Ferreira - Night Time, My Time

13. Blood Orange - Cupid Deluxe

So cool.

14. Caitlin Rose - The Stand-In

It took a lot to get me interested in an alt-country album. Caitlin did it.

15. Blood Ceremony - The Eldritch Dark

My favorite metal album of the year sounds more like Jethro Tull than Deafheaven

16. Pure X - Crawling up the Stairs

Fav Austin band releases their best record.

17. Zola Jesus - Versions

Better than the originals.

18. Haim - Days are Gone

19. Pusha T - My Name is My Name

20. The Knife - Shaking the Habitual

So good, so hard to listen to.

21. Factory Floor - S/T

Totally delivered on all the debut hype.

22. Potty Mouth - Hell Bent 

Amazing sloppy debut. Band I most want to hang out with.

23. Colleen Green - Sock it To Me

Always overlooked because of deceptive simplicity.

24. Cassie - Rock a Bye Baby

My favorite R&B nasty girl releases an excellent DRRTY mixtape

25. Eleanor Friedberger - Personal Record

I forgot; this should be higher but I'm too lazy to change this list.

26. Califone - Stitches

It bums me out that everyone overlooks califone when they consistently release excellent records.

27. Darkside - Psychic

28. Autre Ne Veut - Anxiety

29. Psychic Teens - Come

BAUHAUS 2

30. Laura Marling - Once I Was an Eagle

I know I'm forgetting stuff, sorry! Honorable Mentions include over-anticipated releases from FIDLAR, CHVRCHES, Mazzy Star, Savages, and Julia Holter. Those albums were good but not as good as I wanted them to be. Also still need to process the Beyonce.

1 comment:

Dan Solberg said...

I feel a little bad that that Knife album isn't showing up anywhere on my list. There were things that I liked about it.

Also, we have matching #1s.