Tuesday, December 18, 2007

2007 Top 30: 20-16


20. Ratatat – Mixtape 2
Back in 2004, the first Ratatat mixtape was one of my most listened-to albums of the year, but I didn't include it on my year-end list because I didn't think of it as a legitimate release, a simple album of remixes. In this year of mixes, mixtapes, and compilations, I no longer believe that a mixtape is excluded from “real” releases. In my eyes Ratatat's remixes far outweigh their original tracks; they have a way of restructuring the rhythms of mainstream rap songs to make them sound new if they're old, fresh if they're dull. And if the song in question is Biggie, well, anything can happen. As I see it, the boys in Ratatat can give Siegel, Bun B, etc the guitar-powered fuel they need, and, perhaps more importantly, rap gives Ratatat the edge they need to keep from sounding like video game music.


19. Ryan Adams – Easy Tiger
Seriously, this is a very good Ryan Adams album. I know I have no credibility when it comes to Mr. Adams, and by this time I should be past my Ry-ry phase, but he keeps bringing me back. “Two” is a great pop single, and “Yeah, Whatever, etc” is really well thought-out, unlike its title. And I don't see how critics can keep pissing themselves over the self-knowing irony in Jay-Z's “Ignorant Shit” and not at least smile during “Halloween Head.”



18. Animal Collective – Strawberry Jam
It took me quite a while to get into this AC album. Like Dan Deacon (not on this list), the Collective's new sonic palette started out too thumpingly abrasive for me to listen to for more than a few songs at a time. Which was a shame, since, like all AC albums, this one is best heard as such, with all the melofies rising and falling over the record's course. It took a live show for me to really warm up to the album, and now I can say I am emotionally and aesthetically ready for the rewarding experience of Strawberry Jam. Still, I can't help but wish that Animal Collective would have stayed a little more mellow and make it easier for me to enjoy the record more often.



17. & 16. Handsome Furs – Plague Park
Sunset Rubdown – Random Spirit Lover
I thought it would be cute to put these albums together, but I actually do think that the two Wolf Parade solo records complement each other well. On the one hand, Spencer Krug's album (that's Sunset Rubdown) is so willfully obscure and full of bizarre imagery, but still manages to sound totally tragic (probably because of Krug's voice). On the other hand, Dan Boeckner's album is straightforward, nostalgic, and absolutely heartbreaking. Boeckner's lyrics verge on melodrama, Krug's on willfull obscurity. But they are both hugely affecting for me, and they go well together, kind of like this band I used to listen to... Musically, I find the simple synth/drums of Handsome Furs more easily digestible if less ambitious than the clanging symphonies of Random Spirit Lover. If I had to pick a favorite of the two, I might just pick Handsome Furs, maybe to be ornery, maybe because I saw a fantastic show by Boeckner et al here in Berlin, with all of maybe 20 people in attendance. But nevertheless both albums stand well on their own and together, and make me drool at the thought of a new Wolf Parade album (next year!).

4 comments:

medina said...

Three things:

1) I too wore out the first Ratatat mixtape, where did you find this one?

2) Sunset Rubdown

3) ...I guess I only had two things.

Mike said...

so, i don't know your ry-ry (seriously--weird, right? i mean, know of him, but not know him--i don't think i could name a single song of his, or even name it if i heard him).

but, have you heard the b-more, blaqstarr protege Rye-Rye? Shake it down to the ground. ch-ch-check it out.

Blake said...

I really wanted to like that Sunset Rubdown album. I want it to be visionary, achingly human, etc., all those things that his cracked out voice makes it seem like. Yet the songs just sound melodramatic and manipulative to me.

I somehow missed Handsome Furs, so I'm off to listen to that one.

Dan Solberg said...

Was the 2nd Ratatat Mixtape ever released? I had it downloaded, but I never knew what really happened with that, or if what I had was even official. It's good whatever it is though and miles better than their first one.

your 16/17 pairing is ADORABLE!

somehow i missed the handsome furs too...hmm, checking it out as well.